On August 6, 1952, the Lake Harmony Volunteer Fire Company was organized at a meeting held at the Lake Harmony Hotel. A petition for a charter was presented and signed by 49 men of the area. Thomas W. Durnin, Esq. was retained as solicitor to present an application to the court for a Charter and Incorporation.
On September 24, 1952, the first group of officers was elected. Arrangements were made to purchase a 2 3/4 horsepower siren and install it at the lake, also electric fire lights and one CO2 fire extinguisher. It was later decided to buy a second fire siren to be installed at the lower end of the lake.
On September 18, 1953, word was received from Attorney Durnin that the court would act on the petition of Incorporation. This was done on October 29, 1953.
On February 26, 1954, a portable pump was purchased and housed at the Split Rock Garage.
During April, 1954, an International Tank wagon was presented to the company by Robert Sell.
At a meeting held on May 21, 1954, the Lake Harmony Volunteer Firemen's Relief Association was formed and the solicitor was instructed to apply for a Charter. Also, at that meeting, Mr. Henning was approached regarding a lot for the building of a firehouse.
At the regular meeting on June 18, 1954, a Studebaker Ambulance was purchased.
In November of 1954, an International Front-Mounted Pumper was purchased from the Richboro Fire Company.
In January 1955, the fire company purchased two 50' X 200' lots for $400.00 from the Henning Estate. A two-bay garage was erected on this site and remained there until 1962, when it was razed to erect a new firehouse, with was completed in 1963.
In 1964, a John Bean high pressure fog truck on a Jeep chassis was purchased.
In 1970, a 1953 Mack 750 GPM pumper was purchased from the Penn Wynn Fire Company for $3500.00.
In 1973, a large 3 bay addition was built to the rear of the engine room to house additional equipment.
In 1975, a Ward LaFrance 750 GPM pumper was purchased and then sold in 1981, to the Kidder Township Fire Company #1.
In 1979, a 1955 International 3000 gallon tanker was purchased from Bristol Township Fire Company.
In 1981 a new Ford chassis was purchased to re-power the 1963 John Bean high pressure fog truck.
In February 1983 a 65' American LaFrance ladder truck was purchased from the Jim Thorpe Fire Department.
In March 1983, a Pierce/GMC 1000 GPM pumper with 1000 gallons of water was delivered.
In 1986, a 1952 GMC 2 1/2 ton, 6X6 army type brush truck was donated by the West Long Branch Fire Company #2 from New Jersey.
On January 7, 1989 a 1987 L8000 Ford diesel, with a 2,000 gallon tank was purchased for $80,000 from Reberland Equipment, Inc. of Ohio, which was retired in November of 2001 after a serious accident.
The 65' American LaFrance was removed from service due to safety issues. It was retired in a fire fighting museum in Ohio. The 1952 GMC brush unit was donated to our neighboring fire company, Albrightsville. The 1983 Pierce pumper was sold to the Nova Sciota Fire Dept for $55,000.
On March 6, 1993, we took delivery of a 1993 KME FireStix 1500 GPM pumper with a 75' ladder. The purchase price was $327, 000.00. In the spring of 2009 it was sold to the Wapello Volunteer fire company in Wapello, Iowa for $100,000.
On February 19, 1997 we purchased a 1987 Saulsbury/GMC Special Service Truck from the Glenside Fire Co. for $85,000, which is currently in service today as rescue 1751.
The Company also has a Sea Rogue Inflatable boat, with trailer and a 15 HP Mercury motor, which is currently in service and is used for water rescue incidents.
In 1998 we purchased a Holmatro Rescue system from ESI Equipment which included a spreader, cutter, ram, and power unit for $20,000. In 1999 we expanded our rescue capabilities with the purchase of an air bag set. An additional portable power unit and combi tool have since been added to the truck.
In 2002 we purchased a KME International 7400 Series Tanker with 2,500 gallon Poly S.S. tank, dual axles and a 500 GPM Hale pump for $160,000 to replace the L8000 Ford Diesel Tanker that was totaled in an accident late in 2001.
In 2007 the company approved the formation of a truck committee to start planning to replace the 1993 KME ladder truck. In August of 2008, we signed a contract with Pierce Fire Apparatus to purchase a new 2009 105’ ladder truck with a 2000 GPM pump, 525 gallons of water, a 15KW generator at a cost of $765,000. We also purchased much of the new firefighting equipment needed to outfit the truck.
In 2008, a building committee was formed to start designing a new firehouse. Land across the street was acquired through a generous donation by Francis Tyroll, III valued at over $350,000. With this free land, the fire company pursued a Pennsylvania State grant through Congressman Keith McCall. We were successful in receiving a grant in the amount of $500,000 towards the construction of the new building. Kistler Builders were then hired to construct the shell of the building, and finishing of the engine room side of the project. In October of 2010, we moved the apparatus into the new building and started to slowly move over all other operations as well. With funds becoming scarce, it was decided that the finishing of the interior first and second floors would be done by our members over the winter of 2010 and into the summer of 2011. This new facility will include such improvements as a 4 bay engine room with an additional side bay, engineer’s workroom, radio communications room with a seating area for firefighters, chief’s office, storage room, meeting room, kitchen, and restrooms. The second floor has three dorm rooms, president’s office, treasurer’s office, conference room, kitchen, laundry room, storage/mechanical room, full restrooms with showers, and a social area.
Also in 2008, Lake Harmony & Albrightsville Fire Companies were successful in obtaining the 2011 PA State Firemen’s Association Convention & Parade. This was a huge honor for our two fire companies. The convention activities will take place at the Galleria at Split Rock Resort, and the parade will be in Lake Harmony.
In the fall of 2011, a 1994 Mack/Swab Walk In Rescue Truck was purchased from the Fort Washington Fire Company at a cost of $45,000. The truck was lime green in color and was sent to Micro Fire Apparatus to be painted white over red. The truck was then equipped with many new pieces of rescue equipment and put in service in the spring of 2012.
In 2012 a 1988 Mack CF Engine was purchased from the Delran Fire Comany in Burlington County, NJ at a cost of $9,000. The truck was in excellent condition, all it needed was to be gold leafed and equipment mounted. The truck features a 1000 GPM pump, 1000 gallon booster tank, and a front intake.
In September of 2015, the Lake Harmony Fire Company again hosted the PA State Firemen's Association Convention and Parade in Lake Harmony. The event featured a golf outing, Open House, Beef & Beer featuring Miss Pennsylvania, Fire Expo, and a parade on Saturday.